WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits - Course details
Monday April 24th, Tuesday April 25th & Tuesday May 2nd 2023 Course
- Course date and time: the course will take place over three days 10:00-17:00 (Ends approx 14.00 with the exam on Day 3) at The Sycamore Room, Pembroke Wines, Burlington House, Waterloo Lane, Dublin 4 (D04 C9T2)
- Private study time during the course period: approx 8 hours
- Examination: at the end of the last course day
- Language of tuition: English
- Closing date for course registration is Wednesday April 19th 2023 at 12pm.
- Study pack to be received on the first course day.
About this course
- Students completely new to spirits may wish to complete the Level 1 Award in Spirits first. However, this is not essential.
- WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits is a beginner to intermediate level qualification exploring spirits and liqueurs for those working in the industry or spirits enthusiasts.
- For individuals wishing to develop their expertise in spirits and liqueurs, you’ll learn about the fundamental production methods and principal raw materials discovering how they are used to make the key spirit styles. You’ll also explore the key practices and principles of serving spirits and the use of spirits in cocktails.
- This qualification provides solid knowledge base for the WSET Level 3 Award in Spirits.
- There are no restrictions on entry for the Level 2 Award in Spirits.
- There are no requirements for candidates to have previous knowledge or previous experience of alcoholic beverages.
- Students who are under the legal minimum age for the retail purchase of spirits in Ireland will not be allowed to sample any alcoholic beverage as part of their course, but this is not a barrier to successfully completing the qualification.
- Candidates applying to sit the examination must be over the legal minimum age for the retail purchase of spirits in the Republic of Ireland.
- Photo ID will be required on the day of the exam.
What you will learn
- How production methods affect the characteristics of spirits and liqueurs
- The characteristics of the principal international spirits and liqueurs
- Fruit Spirits (including Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados, Grappa, Pisco)
- Whisky/Whiskey (from USA, Scotland, Canada, Ireland, Japan)
- Agave spirits (Tequila and Mezcal)
- Flavoured Spirits (including Spiced Rum, Flavoured Vodka, Gin, Aniseed Spirits, Bitters, Liqueurs)
- Aromatised wines (Vermouth)
- How to describe spirits using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits® (SAT)
Recommended private study
- You should be prepared to dedicate a minimum of 8 hours to study time outside of the classroom. Please be mindful that a consecutive day course is intensive.
- Assessment is by a closed-book exam of 50 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 60 minutes.
- A total mark of 55% is required to achieve a pass.
What is included in the course fee
- WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits study pack that includes course manual, study guide and laminated tasting card (received on the first course day)
- Postage of Certificate / Pin
- Course handouts
- Tasting samples: minimum of 29 samples will be tasted during the course
- Upon successful completion, a WSET certificate and lapel pin
For further information, please access the specification for this course below
Booking this course
- To book a place simply click on ”Book Now” and follow instructions.
- All orders are subject to our Booking Terms and Conditions. In order to read them please follow this link Terms of service – Vinspire Wine and Spirit Academy (vinspireacademy.com)
- For bank transfers contact us directly at email@example.com
- Full directory of Vinspire Wine and Spirit Academy policies available on request.
- Please send your date of birth (for WSET exam registration) following booking your course to firstname.lastname@example.org