WSET Level 2 Award in Wines - Course details
MONDAY MAY 29TH, TUESDAY MAY 30TH WEDNESDAY MAY 31ST
- Course date and time: this consecutive intensive style course will take place over 3 seperate days MONDAY MAY 29TH, TUESDAY MAY 30TH WEDNESDAY MAY 31ST.
- The course will take place from 10:00-16:00 each day at The Sycamore Room, Pembroke Wines, Burlington House, Waterloo Lane, Dublin 4 (D04 C9T2)
- Private study time during the period of the course: approx 11 hours
- Examination: at the end of the last course day
- Language of tuition: English
- Closing date for course registration is Tuesday May 16th at 12pm
- Study pack will be posted out to your address if the course is booked by April 30th. After this date, your study pack will be received on the first day of the course.
- All tuition, study pack and books, wine samples, and exam registration and fees included in the course cost.
About this course
- Students completely new to wine may wish to complete the Level 1 Award in Wines first. However, this is not essential.
- WSET Level 2 Award in Wines is intended for those who have little or no prior knowledge of the broad range of wines and wish to broaden their knowledge in a structured way.
- It is suitable wherever a good level of wine knowledge is required to underpin job skills and competencies, for example in the customer service and sales functions of hospitality, retailing and wholesaling industries.
- Successful candidates will be able to describe and compare the styles of wines produced from internationally and regionally important grape varieties, interpret wine labels from the main wine producing regions of the world and give basic guidance on appropriate selection and service, as well as understand the principles of wine tasting and evaluation.
- This qualification provides solid knowledge base for the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines.
- There are no restrictions on entry for the Level 2 Award in Wines.
- There are no requirements for candidates to have previous knowledge or previous experience of alcoholic beverages.
- Students who are under the legal minimum age for the retail purchase of alcoholic beverages in the Republic of Ireland will not be allowed to sample any alcoholic beverage as part of their course, but this is not a barrier to successfully completing the qualification.
- Candidates applying to sit the examination must be over the legal minimum age for the retail purchase of alcoholic beverages in the Republic of Ireland.
- Photo ID will be required on the day of the exam.
What you will learn
- How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine®(SAT)
- How environmental factors, grape-growing, winemaking and maturation options influence the style and quality of wines made from eight principal grape varieties:
- Pinot Grigio/Gris
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Pinot Noir
- The style and quality of wines:
- made from 22 regionally important grape varieties
- produced in over 70 geographical indications (GIs) around the world
- How grape varieties and winemaking processes influence key styles of:
- Sparkling wines
- Fortified wines
- Key labelling terms used to indicate origin, style and quality
- Principles and processes involved in the storage and service of wine
- Principles of food and wine pairing
Recommended private study
You should be prepared to dedicate a minimum of 11 hours to study time outside of the classroom. Please be mindful that a consecutive day course is intensive.
- Examination will take place on the last day of the course.
- Assessment is by a closed-book exam of 50 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 60 minutes.
- A total mark of 55% is required to achieve a pass.
What is included in the course fee
- WSET Level 2 Award in Wines study pack that includes course manual, study guide and laminated tasting card. Study pack received on first course day.
- Postage of Certificate and Pin.
- Course handouts
- Tasting samples: a minimum of 30 wines will be tasted during the course
- Upon successful completion, a WSET certificate and lapel pin
For further information, please access the specification for this course below
Specification – WSET Level 2 Award in Wines (wsetglobal.com)
Booking this course
- To book a place simply click on ”Book Now” and follow instructions.
- All orders are subject to our Booking Terms and Conditions. In order to read them please follow this link Terms of service – Vinspire Wine and Spirit Academy (vinspireacademy.com)
- For bank transfers contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Full directory of Vinspire Wine and Spirit Academy policies available on request.
- Please send your date of birth (for WSET exam registration) following booking your course to email@example.com